[mythtv] Help please!

Johann Klemmack mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon Jan 13 09:26:25 EST 2003

I would recommend against the SS40 unless price is a big thing.  For $50
more, you can get the SS41G, which is MUCH quieter (in google, type in
"ss40g review noise" and most anything you come across will mention it), has
better performance, *AND* has an AGP slot (the SS40 does *not* - it has 2
PCI).  There are still a lot of PCI graphics cards out there, but I know
nothing of them and would stay away unless you're really strapped for cash.
As for the noise, the BIOS on the SS40 has a software controlled fan, MythTV
would keep the CPU temp up no matter what the processor is, so the fan would
be roaring.

Other than that, system seems fine - except don't forget a DVD drive and
proper video card.  Some people go with an ATi All-In-Wonder or the Matrox
G200/G450(?) which are graphics cards with a built-in tuner.  Unless you
like mucking around with drivers, though, I'd say play it safe and get an
nVidia card with S-video out and a WinTV card.  Unfortunately, that will
fill up the 2 slots they have in the SS40g/SK41g computer.

Of course, if money is no object (hahahah) you can get the brand spanking
new SN41G2 from shuttle, with a build-in dual head nVidia GeForce4 MX
built-in, and an nForce based mobo.  So new you can't get it yet... oh well.

If you're willing to have a mini-tower sitting by your entertainment center
(painted a nice matte black of course), you could save $50-100 on a
case-mobo-proc barebones depending on where you shop and have more room to
expand.

Just remember that if you can compress using MJPEG you'll be running
1.5G/hour of harddrive.  A 80GB, 75 after system install still gives you 50
hours of recording space and thats more than enough for me.

Lastly, if you do go with a Shuttle mini-system, save yourself $10 and get
an OEM processor - the Shuttle systems have a built-in CPU cooler that
you'll want to keep.

Good luck and e-mail me with what system you end up going with!

Johann