[mythtv] Tuner channels setup (and other stuff)

Erik Arendse mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon Jan 13 09:22:06 EST 2003

At 10-1-03 22:18, you wrote:
>As well as now being able to change channels, I also learnt more about
>the large numbers on the OSD that appear when number keys are pressed.
>I originally expected these to correspond to channel (ie. BBC1 == 1,
>BBC2 = 2, etc.) but they seem to show the frequency/channel numbers
>(ie. BBC1 == 22, BBC2 == 28, etc.) This is not how I would expect it to
>work, but is perhaps how american TVs work?

Americans think in channelnumbers. A TV channel seems to be identified by
its channelnummer on the grid used in the US.

I don't see how a station can have different transmitters on the same
frequency in different locations without interference, but perhaps it is
all cable they are using.

In Europe people are used to seeing stations identified by the channel they
programmed on their TV's, if somebody lives in england he puts BB1 on '1',
BBC2 on '2' etc.

Nobody has any idea when using a TV what channel or frequency a station is
on. With air-transmitted stations different frequencies are used anyway in
different regions to avoid interference, and somebody living in a
neighbouring country might put his own local staitions at the lower numbers
and put the BBC on '9' and '10'.
In my country even cable uses different frequencies for the same stations
in every city.

As the grids here (europe-west at my place) are not exclusively used
anymore (to put channels closer together that the grids allow) most
stations transmit on channels like "42-", which means "just below
gridchannel 42" etc., or they just give you the frequency straightaway.

As as beside: on the europe-west grid we use channel identifiers like 'S1'
besides '1' here as well, for which support in 0.7 was allright, but it's
partly broken again in CVS. (The origin of the S-channels is that the
europe-west grid covers air-channels only by origine, the S-band was added
for cable use to increse the available channels but is in use for other
purposes in the air.)

Putting a new usercontrolled (manually) column in MythTV to identify and
order the channel independant of the xmlid, mythid, stationtag, channelnr,
frequency is on my todo-list...

>I thought that I'd read
>somewhere that frequency/channel details were picked up from a xawtv
>config file, but this may have been another PVR project! Even so, it
>currently requires devling into the database so I would have expected a
>more user-friendly way to be available.
Mythfilldatabase in CVS (or 0.8 to be) has an option --xawchannels which
reads channelinfo from a xawrc file for non-US users.

Erik