[mythtv] Record now?

James Sleeman bitsy_boffin at cyberdude.com
Thu Jan 16 14:36:37 EST 2003

Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Wednesday 15 January 2003 10:48 am, Stephan Wentz wrote:
>

>>that reminds me of one of my questions that hasn't been answered yet, will
>>future versions of mythtv let the backend do all the sql-query-stuff? right
>>now the frontend does it, and i don't think this is a good idea, since the
>>backend should provide all the data that the frontend uses...
>>

>I disagree.  The backend doesn't need to provide _all_ the data, when much of
>it's just as easily gotten by hitting the sql server remotely.  It's not like
>the client libraries are huge or anything.

I think that Stephan has a point.  I find applications that require
mySQL to be installed and create database/tables etc are a pain - namely
because it's generally not necessary for the software to have such a
hefty (even if mySQL isn't exactly hefty) requirement, it adds to the
complexity for the system needlessly in most instances.  I think that it
should be considered to have myth use something like SQLite
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/sqlite/?topic_id=67) by default (so that
no database engine is required for Joe Public) but keeping the option of
developing an interface to mySQL/postgreSQL/mSQL/MSSQL/Oracle/whatever
in the future - the best way to do this IMHO would be to have the
backend do the communicating with the database (through an interface
module perhaps) and the front end communicate with the backend for the
information it requires - this way the proliferation of SQL is reduced
to preferably one easy to maintain class, lets say mythDBManager which
is extended by specific implementations - mySQLDBManager,
postgresDBManager, sqliteDBManager etc, SQL is never given to the
class's objects, only method invocations to perform certain actions
(dbmanager.getShows(), dbmanager.deleteShows(), etc etc).

I havn't seen the CVS code yet (waiting for the 0.8 release really) so I
don't know how the frontend-backend split works in it's entirity, but I
believe that it uses a network filesystem for getting hold of the shows,
if not then ignore me totally while I talk from my ass, but if so I
think that requirement should be removed too, the frontend should ask
the backend to stream it a show rather that relying on the user to
perform _another_ administrative task in getting a network file system
up and running properly.

To put it simply, I think the frontend should only have to know how to
contact the backend, and that's all - everything it needs (video,
program listings etc) it asks the backend to provide to it.

Well, just 2c off the top of my head.

---
James Sleeman