[mythtv] lcd for linux

Shawn Rutledge e_cloud at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 01:13:05 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:44:35PM -0600, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 04:56:24PM -0700, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> > I predict in the next year, now that "modding" has gotten so mainstream,
> > we'll be seeing cheapie "made in China" USB LCDs in Fry's and such. (I
> > hope.) They're selling a wide assortment of cold cathodes, LED fans,
> > cases with pre-cut windows, fan controllers, temperature displays etc.
> > already.  Why they don't already have LCDs I'm not sure; it seems kindof
> > obvious.
>
> They are cheap (I spent well over $200 for one a couple years ago, now
> I can pick the same one up for $60), they get more expensive as people
> decide they want idiotic things like USB connectors for them.

USB shouldn't be more expensive.  Probably doesn't require level
conversion to +/-12V either.  And some microcontrollers have USB built
in; that's what they should use.

Besides, if USB LCDs were a widely useful commodity, maybe it could all
be one chip.  Then they could sell for $20.  Or maybe I2C would be a
better choice, so as to be useful in consumer electronics etc; and some
PCs have I2C buses for temperature sensors don't they?

That CrystalFontz one with a lighted keypad, ATX power control, and
interface for one-wire temperature sensors is pretty cool.

  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud at bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)                       http://ecloud.org  kb7pwd at kb7pwd.ampr.org