[mythtv] Record now?

Stephan Wentz wentz at gmx.de
Thu Jan 16 18:38:25 EST 2003

Am Donnerstag, 16. Januar 2003 18:00 schrieb Larry Matter:
> I guess the feasibility of this depends on how the ringbuffer works - can
> you tell just by examining the ringbuffer file where you started watching
> a particular channel?  If you were surfing and stumbled on "Friends" and
> decided to tape it, you only want to copy the portion of the ringbuffer
> that is  "Friends".

hmm the backend has all the info's he needs for this...
supposing we stay on one channel all the time:
the backend could write the current position in the ringbuffer to the database
everytime a new show starts (it can get the info's from the database), so it
should be relative easy to grab whole shows (even shows that you watched a
few days ago...).
if we switch channels we have a problem, of course ;-)
maybe only make a database entry for watchings (bad word - don't know better)
> 10 secs, or something similar... if you're watching friends and zap around
in the middle of the show and want to record it afterwards it should be
possible to build a video-sequence with data from the ringbuffer that fits
into our needs - channel and time has got to be right, everything else will
be discarded.
doesn't sound easy, but could be done ;-)
the backend can for example cache the "zap-data", and write it only once in a
while to the database, and then record really every single zapping...

> If you change channels, does the ringbuffer start over from the begining
> of the file?  If not, does it indicate that a channel change occured or
> does it just basically have a capture of what I've been watching (and,
> gosh, what are the privacy implications of that!:-)

i guess it will start over, because of that it's a _ring_buffer!

> And then there is the issue of liveTV settings vs recording settings -
> they might be different and how does the code deal with that.
>
> I think it would be a neat feature, but I'm not sure it is that easy.  I
> can think of a few more issues but I have to leave for work now :-)

yes, definitive! (both, hehe)

bye, stephan