[mythtv] Problem trying to istall MythTV on Debian

stan stanb at awod.com
Thu Jan 16 18:43:21 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 03:20:10PM -0500, Eric C. Cooper wrote:
> > What should I do next?
>
> Many of the required packages are only in debian unstable.  Make sure
> you're either using that, or else set up your apt.conf so you can
> selectively do "apt-get install -t unstable ...".  Please check debian
> docs/lists for more on this if this is unfamiliar.

Thanks.

Ok, I did apt-get -t unstable mythtv, and _a lot- of packages were pulled
down, and installed. However, I'm hung up on:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, mythtv is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 709  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Setting up mythtv (0.7-12) ...
DBI->connect(host=localhost;database=) failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at -e line 5
Can't call method "do" on an undefined value at -e line 6, <> line 1.
dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
  mythtv
  smokey:~#

Now. It appears that the mysql server is not startign, correct?

I've never used it for anything, so I'm not familar with it.

How can I check this out?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin