[mythtv] XBox as a Frontend

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Sat Jan 18 17:05:59 EST 2003

Firstly great work Isaac and others. I only joined and began using Myth
about 3 months ago.

Has anyone out there tried to use (or considered) an XBox as a frontend
only? P3 733 odd should be plenty enough grunt for simply decoding only.
Graphics should be good enough given that it is roughly a Geforce 2. Pretty
cheap and wouldn't look too out of place in the average home entertainment
system. Probably the biggest limitation will be that it only has 64M of RAM.
Mandrake 9 is available too.

Gets around some of the noise issues with regular PCs too although I know
people who think even the Xbox fan is too loud.

Of course you need a mod chip at the moment as well, but I don't see that as
much of show stopper.

Off to see if I can find a cheap 2nd hand XBox.... I think I'm going to give
it a go either way.

Cheers