[mythtv] mythfrontend on Via EPIA M - success (sort of)

Larry Matter mythtv at matter.net
Sat Jan 18 09:41:01 EST 2003

Howdy,

This morning I was finally able to get mythfrontend to run on my Via EPIA
M 9000.  Preliminary results are that is seems just barely able to handle
it (this was not totally unexpected).

I had to use mpeg4 intead of rtjpeg (otherwise it was way too jerky).  I
also obviously had to disable deinterlace since the C3 doesn't support
MMX2.  I had to reduce the capture resolution from 640x480 to 480x480 to
remove the remaining occasional jerkiness.   But after all that, the
picture is pretty decent.

While watching live-tv, if I change the channel, it takes about 5 seconds
for the picture and audio to settle down and sync up; the OSD definitely
affects it.  Un-pausing live tv works fine.  The lack of deinterlace is
fine for talking heads, but bad for sports or other motion intensive
shows.

Interesting to me is that while running top, I noticed that the X server
was using more CPU than mythfrontend (about 38%).

At this point my opinion is that this motherboard is not ready for mythtv.
 It was lot of work to get everything set up and I had to make a lot of
compromises (largly due to binary-only drivers).  I could probabaly
further optimize things but I'm not sure it is worth the time it would
take.  Guess I'm off to find a new mobo...This one is about to become my
email server.

BTW, the Myth Docs were invaluable in getting this to work.

Larry