[mythtv] Sound help please

Aaron Frerichs afrerich at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 19 17:52:37 EST 2003

--- Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
> Aaron Frerichs wrote:
> > Now, I tried the test in the Documentation,
> section
> > 17.11, but I keep getting this error message.
> > /dev/dsp: no such device
> >
> > That is weird, because I checked my /dev directory
> and
> > dsp is there as a link to dsp0.
>
> Right, if the file didn't exist, the error would be
> something like "No such file or directory". No such
> device
> means that there is no accessable device associated
> with
> the file.
>
> Make sure you've run the "snddevices" script in the
> ALSA
> driver build directory.
>
> Try /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 in case something else
> grabbed
> /dev/dsp0 first.

Thanks, but that didn't work.  I know I ran the
"snddevices" script when I installed ALSA.  I also
tried your suggestion, and all the dsp? devices give
the same "No such device" error message.

> cat /proc/asound/pcm to see that there is something
> like
>
> 00-00: <...your card info...> : playback 1 : capture
> 1
>
> and
>
> cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/info to see if things
> look okay.

These both look OK to me, but I'm somewhat of a novice
at this, so here is the output.  Maybe there is
something that I am not seeing.

$ cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-00: Intel ICH : Intel 82801BA-ICH2 : playback 1 :
capture 1

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: CAPTURE
id: Intel ICH
name: Intel 82801BA-ICH2
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1

I am beginning to think it is my modules.conf
configuration.

I created a file called "alsa" and put it in
/etc/modutils

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
#module optons should go here
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# card #1
alias sound-services-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-services-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-services-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-services-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-services-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

I got this from the Documentation in the installing
ALSA section.  Maybe I shouldn't have, because now
that I go back and re-read it, maybe it is just for
RedHat 8.0, and I am using Debian 3.0.  Oh, yeah, I
did run update-modules to re-create my modules.conf
file, and the aliases did show up in it.

Thanks again,
Aaron