[mythtv] Sound help please

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Jan 19 21:07:36 EST 2003

Aaron Frerichs wrote:
> $ cat /proc/asound/pcm
> 00-00: Intel ICH : Intel 82801BA-ICH2 : playback 1 :
> capture 1
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/info
> card: 0
> device: 0
> subdevice: 0
> stream: CAPTURE
> id: Intel ICH
> name: Intel 82801BA-ICH2
> subname: subdevice #0
> class: 0
> subclass: 0
> subdevices_count: 1
> subdevices_avail: 1

This looks to me like you should have a caputre device
and the module is installed...

> I am beginning to think it is my modules.conf
> configuration.
>
> I created a file called "alsa" and put it in
> /etc/modutils
>
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> #module optons should go here
> # OSS/Free portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> # card #1
> alias sound-services-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-services-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-services-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-services-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-services-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>
> I got this from the Documentation in the installing
> ALSA section.  Maybe I shouldn't have, because now
> that I go back and re-read it, maybe it is just for
> RedHat 8.0, and I am using Debian 3.0.  Oh, yeah, I
> did run update-modules to re-create my modules.conf
> file, and the aliases did show up in it.

Yes, ALSA needs these for any Linux. If you've changed
these since your last reboot try:

/etc/init.d/alsasound restart

Try "lsmod". There should be several lines that start with
"snd-". Look for something like:

snd-pcm                54880   0  [snd-intel8x0]

If your module stuff is all correct, snd-pcm-oss should
load when you open the device file major 14, minor 3.
Check that /dev/dsp0 is 14, 3:

: root at moktoo \# ; ls -l /dev/dsp0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Nov 13 02:28 /dev/dsp0

If I "aplay /dev/dsp0" then "lsmod", two new lines appear
at the top:

snd-pcm-oss            36964   0  (autoclean)
snd-mixer-oss          10680   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]

It's possible that you might not have these if ALSA was
configured "--with-oss=no". Check to see that you have

/lib/modules/2.4.*/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.o

If not, go back to the ALSA driver directory and

make clean
./configure --with-oss=yes
make
make install