[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Laurent Farcy laurent.farcy at freesbee.fr
Mon Jan 20 11:41:29 EST 2003

Hi all,

First I must admit what you've been doing with MythTV is quite
impressive. Here in France, we haven't even got Tivo or ReplayTV boxes.
It's been awhile since I envy you being able to enjoy DVR. And now,
thanks to you, it's available for free (at least no subscription fee).

Obviously, now, I'm thinking of building my own MythTV box and I've got
some questions I would like to get answered before starting buying and
assembling anything (I browsed the mailing list but I haven't found any
definitive answers).

1/ I've got a digital cable box I would like to be the main input for
MyhtTV. So, I guess I have to plug it to the s/video input of the tuner
card and the line in of my sound card. From what I read in the mailing
list, you have to trick in the code to select the s-video input instead
of the television for recordings. But soon the 'select your input for
recording' feature will be included ? Am I right ? By the way, if I can
be of any help for code updates...

2/ Though my cable box will be my main input, I will plug my rf antenna
to the tuner card. So next question is : does MythTV manage input
selection/switch for for live watching/pausing/forwarding ? A feature to
come maybe ?

3/ Not so many threads talk about widescreen tvs/programmes. Although,
some of you guys own one. So, to make short, my question is whether
MythTV compatible with widescreen programmes and TVs ? IMHO, 'compatible
with widescreen programmes' would mean recordings happen in anamorphic
aspect ratio (whenever the source is anamorphic) so that when you read
them you can still expand it to 16:9 (whilst it's been recorded in 4:3
anamorphic format). And 'compatible with widescreen tv' would mean you
can generate a tv-output signal which is 4:3 anamorphic so that your tv
can expand it to 16:9. Am I clear/right ?

4/ Last, I'm wondering if there's a difference in terms of quality
between tv tuner cards for video grabbing, and particularly in my case
for s-video input grabbing. The differences could be, I guess, on
maximum resolution, visual quality, widescreen handling, ... So if you
could share your experience, I would appreciate your feedback.

A lot of questions for a first post... So many thanks in advance for
your answers.

Laurent