[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Mon Jan 20 13:25:01 EST 2003

At 20-1-03 13:09, Laurent Farcy wrote:
>>Meaning get your output right before spending money on the input. (As
>>long as you watch on your monitor it is not an issue of course).
>
>I read the Conexant 25871 chip is the better one. But video card
>manufacturers don't always mention the chip they use for their product.
>Any nvidia geforce-based video card with the conexant 25871 embedded you
>may know ? Or any other recommendations ?

Just one: _DO_NOT_ convert your signal to composite again, whatever the chip...
As I said in a previous post, if you live in France your probably have
SCART on your TV. That can be composite, better: Y/C or even best: RGB, so
just hope for the latter. RGB 100Hz progressive input straight from the
computer DAC with the correct levels leaves all other forms of output
behind in the dust, both on specs and on visual impact.
If you spend enough on your TV you can use this, if not go slowly down
quality-lane, never use composite (or, ...shudder...: modulated composite
over the antenna wire) as your first option.

I wrote a small essay about this stuff once on this list, just read this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=47237;search_string=scart;guest=57834&t=search_engine#47237
(in case the link breaks in the maillist, use the myth-dev list
searchengine to search for 'scart')

A longer explanation about this can be found on
http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm,
it discusses connecting DVD-players to projectors, but the principles stay
exactly the same.

Erik