[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Laurent Farcy laurent.farcy at freesbee.fr
Mon Jan 20 14:44:56 EST 2003

Erik Arendse wrote:
> At 20-1-03 13:09, Laurent Farcy wrote:
>
>>> Meaning get your output right before spending money on the input. (As
>>> long as you watch on your monitor it is not an issue of course).
>>

>> I read the Conexant 25871 chip is the better one. But video card
>> manufacturers don't always mention the chip they use for their
>> product. Any nvidia geforce-based video card with the conexant 25871
>> embedded you may know ? Or any other recommendations ?
>

> Just one: _DO_NOT_ convert your signal to composite again, whatever the
> chip...
> As I said in a previous post, if you live in France your probably have
> SCART on your TV. That can be composite, better: Y/C or even best: RGB,
> so just hope for the latter. RGB 100Hz progressive input straight from
> the computer DAC with the correct levels leaves all other forms of
> output behind in the dust, both on specs and on visual impact.
> If you spend enough on your TV you can use this, if not go slowly down
> quality-lane, never use composite (or, ...shudder...: modulated
> composite over the antenna wire) as your first option.

I cannot use RGB output because my dvd player is already plugged in my
only rgb-compatible scart on my tv. Except if I use a multiple SCART
adapter but I don't really want to.

I thought using s-video output rather. You can find many geforce-based
video card with a s-video tv output at reasonable prices. But,
apparently, the quality of the tv output depends on the chip used to
encode the signal (vga 2 ntsc/pal converter). And the conexant chip I
mentioned is told to be the best.

I just wanted to double-check with you guys and had some recommendations
on products. Thanks for your advice Erik.

Laurent