[mythtv] Mythtv freezes

Pascal Cleve linux at tisco.com
Tue Jan 21 17:49:56 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 17:13, COFFMAN Steven wrote:

    2. Re: Changing Channels freezes. Any problems changing the channel in
    Xawtv? When you use the MythEPG to record shows on several different
    channels, do they record ok?

Changing channel with xawt works fine.  I have not yet been able to
record or do anything with the EPG except looking at it.  The EPG is
there and I can navigate through it but I have not yet figured out how
to record something!  Hitting 'enter' or anything alike with the
keyboard or the remote has no effect.

    3. Re: No sound. Are you using ALSA? Did you disable artsd (in KControl
    center)? Did you check out
    http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-17.html#ss17.11? Try all that.
    Depending on how you routed your cables, instead of the Line In, you
    might have it using the CD In, like mine (internal cables from CD player
    to Video Capture to Sound Card). So try substituting CD for Line in
    that. If that doesn't work, in Alsamixer, crank up the volume to 100%
    for everything except PCM (only to 81% to avoid distortion) and unmute
    everything, and try CAPTURE for both Line and CD. The ALSA settings can
    get lost when you restart, so check them out again even if you've done
    it before.

I have not yet upgraded to ALSA.  My sound card is an Intel 82801 (i810
chip).  I can play a test sound after I boot my machine or even after I
use xawtv.  But after I use MythTV, the sound is dead.  I have not yet
investigated that part.

    If this doesn't help, post more info like what is your linux
    distribution, are you using ALSA, what is your video card (not the
    capture one), are you playing via the monitor/TV Out.

    The portion of your modules.conf file that deals with sound (OSS or
    ALSA) might be useful. What CPU you're using (if it's really slow) might
    have some bearing on the channel freezes thing.

My CPUs are pretty fast (2x 1.5 GHz).

    -Steve