[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 22 12:13:58 EST 2003

At 22-1-03 12:00, Laurent Farcy wrote:
 > So my question is : what is the best solution considering image
definition/quality and ease of use. I don't
 > want to reconfigure Xv for each different material. Let's say, in 2
minutes, I can switch from 4:3 to 16:9
 > and back to 4:3 sources just because I'm zapping.

OK, lets see:

>>- do you want to see 4:3 material stretched to 16:9?
>no, I want to respect the original aspect ratio. I don't care about
>stretching an original 4:3 material.

>>- do you want to see a 4:3 menu streched to 16:9?
>if this is not avoidable for watching a 'true' 16:9 material, it is ok. I
>think it is already what happens with my cable receiver. Although it has
>an item in the setup to declare a widescreen tv, menus are only designed
>for a 4:3 image.

>>- do you have anamorphic 16:9 sources you want to record with mythtv?
>yes. Maybe dvd, but mostly movies broadcasted on (rare) 16:9 movie channels.
Is a 16:9 movie channel anamorphic, letterboxed PAL or PAL-Plus? Just for
curiosity: could you give me a name or link?

Seems to me you can just record whatever you want using an un-modified
MythTV, and show it with your TV switched manually to 16:9 or 4:3.

Changing resolutions in MythTV for different sources is no issue as you
supposedly just grab the maximum attainable with your hardware, up to the
limits of PAL. Quality will not be compromised with either 16:9 or 4:3 sources.

Future possible support of digital input is a different matter though.

If you want menu's scaled is up to you, they are certainly usable if
stretched (as your cable receiver).

The only possible improvement could be letting MythTV control your TV ratio
over a scart connection, but then you should hack around in mythTV and
probably run a wire from some free LPT line to your scart.

Erik