[mythtv] ALSA working, but no sound on MythTV

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jan 23 13:31:39 EST 2003

Dan Brown wrote:
> Pascal-
> I might have had something similar. I installed the
> alsa software so I could use my intel 810 inboard
> sound with red hat 8.0, and then couldn't hear
> anything at all after setting the mixer as instructed
> with alsamixer. So I started playing with the levels
> and I got it to work by turning on more stuff:
> I put main, main mono, headphones, pcm, line in, and
> capture (keep scrolling rightward) all up to about 80%
> and then muted the line in and "captured" both the
> line in and capture. sounds strange compared to the
> instructions...

In alsamixer there are two things marked with the red
"CAPTUR"; line in is the source and "Capture" is the
destination. I believe the "Capture" item is there so
the capture volume can be set at an appropriate level
no matter which source is used. Any ideas on how to make
this all sound less strange?

--  bjm