[mythtv] Leadtek Winfast tv2000 anyone?

Ainsley McCall ainsley at techshop.net
Thu Jan 23 19:00:29 EST 2003

>1) Tuner  I haven't managed to figure out what tuner chip type to use yet.
Through
>trial and error I've picked chip "2", as in insmod .. type=2. Any clues
>for the clueless?
modprobe bttv card=34 tuner=2 worked pretty good for me
OR, if you want it to be set up at boot time
cat >>/etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-81 bttv
options bttv card=34 tuner=2 radio=1
^D

>2) Audio  I'm currently running loopback to line in on my sound card, and
this
>works. I'd like to use btaudio though.
As far as I know, there isn't any good support for reading sound from the
Leadtek card digitally.  I am not even certain that there is even a chip on
the card for btaudio to support.  At any rate, I gave up on this avenue.  I
recommend using the hard line out and capturing the line input in your alsa
mixer (spacebar and m).  This took me a while to get right for some reason.
Here's what I've gathered:
install ALSA 0.9 from source
read their documentation to do all the configuration in modules.conf and
other files.
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/ (pick your sound card)

make sure sound-slot-1 is aliased to i810 audio and whatnot.
when you reboot,
launch xawtv and tune to a channel with decent audio
configure the mixer with alsamixer, get the audio about right (90 Main, 65
PCM, 65 Line)
then mute and capture Line
aplay /dev/dsp (should be dsp0)
It should also sound terrible, since it'll be 8-bit mono at 8000 Hz,
disregard the bad quality

run mythtv (make sure you remembered to tie the channel database to the tv
input during setup/setup so that you'll be able to change channels)

If all is right in the world, sound will be fine when you load up mythtv.  I
can't be totally sure whether I have stereo working or not, but it seems to
sound fine on my system (finally).

>3) IR
The biggest trick for me was making sure that the IR module was actually
plugged into the right place.
You shouldn't need to build lircd with debug on.  Once you do build, notice
that it tells you which driver to run, lirc_gpio
add it to modules.conf:
alias char-major-61    lirc_gpio

also make sure to run lircd (you can add it to /etc/rc.d/rc.local)

find a valid lircd.conf and copy it to /etc/lircd.conf
There is one in remotes, I'll mail you mine independent of the list.

once you've done all of that, to test:
modprobe lirc_gpio;lircd;irw
*press buttons*

As a side note, there are 14 buttons missing from the remote.  I looked into
this today, but it seems to be an accepted loss and beyond my ability to fix
any time soon.  (these are 'unnecessary' buttons, thankfully)

>wierder yet, the remote I have is numbered "Y0400046".
yeah, same number here, though I didn't find it to be stranger than anything
else

>And let me just bemoan the lack of things to record in the middle of the
>day for testing purposes. Barney? ARGH!
lol, yeah, I got stuck with public access for testing purposes.  Perhaps
myth will one day be modified to remember the last channel it was on.

Cheers and good luck,
-Ainsley