[mythtv] VMWare and Mythtv is a no-go

tarek Lubani tarek at tarek.2y.net
Mon Jan 27 21:28:10 EST 2003

Hey guys!

I just thought I'd report my experiences trying to get mythtv working on
vmware..

I have long been interested in getting myth working on my windows-based PC.
To this end, I started a valiant effort to get the nuppelvideo codec going
on my system (valiant, but in the end a miserable failure) and such.. One
day, whilest sitting on the can ruminating over my latest progress, it
occurred to me!! The answer was vmware.

1) So, I loaded up VMWare Workstation 3.2.0, and started installing
Mandrake 9.0. No hitches.

2) Installed mythtv as per instructions in FAQ.. Thank you Robert. I love
you. I want to have your children..

3) Made a mess of things getting the network installation going.. I was
unsure if it would actually go, so I just forgot about trying to get Live
TV working for the meantime.

4) Hooked up an smbmount to my mythtv/store directory. picked SMB over
other things for many reasons..

5) my world ended..

A quick check showed that vmware did not support XV.. xvinfo says that
there are no adapters found.. As I understand (please prove me wrong),
mythtv uses Xv exclusively, and that simply will not work with vmware.
videos won't play. nothing will go.. Recordings and everything can be
manipulated, but no TV can be watched...

CONCLUSIONS:

1) "Videos" cannot be played in vmware, since XV is not supported
2) the database settings and such could be manipulated.. recordings
added/removed/deleted/etc.

tarek : )