[mythtv] numeric keys for EPG navigation

John johnmythtv at crombe.com
Thu Jan 30 04:34:56 EST 2003

In my setup, I'm planning on using a spare TiVo remote to control MythTV.  I
mean, really, it was _designed_ to be a pvr remote right?  For that reason,
I definitely _don't_ want everything crammed into four arrow keys and
enter/esc.  I mean if we're being stingy we only need two arrow keys but
that's crazy.  We go through all this hard work to create this incredible
device and then hamstring it with four arrow keys?  I know that we can bind
extra remote keys to the "keyboard" functions.  I say, the more functions
the merrier - and actually easier it becomes to use.  Just think about
TiVo's remote.  It has jump fwd, jump back, ffwd, rwd, pause, osguide, info,
pip, input select, power, ch up/down, vol up/down, num pad, enter, clear,
_plus_ four arrow keys and select.  They're all there for a reason, and
yeah, you can get away with just the arrows, but dedicated keys are _way_
nicer and more intuitive.  Check it out here:
http://store.tivo.com/catalog/34_button_remote_charcoal_picture.jpg  ($29
online).

So.... my vote is to allow programmable remote control over every feature
possible so that the nicer the remote, the more you can do.  Whether it's in
a header, settings file, or whatever, so long as we can tune it up.  I'm
upgrading from 0.7 to CVS now and the first code I'll want to dive into is
to add support for all the whiz-bang features I'm used to.  Owning a TiVo
and ReplayTV for a couple years has made me very aware of what a "best of
both" would operate like.  With MythTV, I can finally create that Mythical
ideal box!

Thanks!
JC