[mythtv] None

Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com
Thu Jan 30 16:27:03 EST 2003

The list at large-

First off, all apologies if I manage to break any rules, spoken or
otherwise.  This is my first post after using MythTV for a few weeks, and
kind of lurking on the archives (I'm using 0.7)  So, if I need setting
straight, please don't hesitate to do so.

Gary-

It's my understanding that the TV card really has 2 components:  A TV
tuner, and a chip to digitize the audio and video signals.  When your card
is getting power, it's going to be tuned in to the last station you were
watching (this may not be the case after a reboot, during which point the
card could lose power momentarily), and it's always going to be outputting
the audio from said channel.  I seem to remember getting the same behavior
in Windows with my card (ATI TV Wonder VE), with the same resolution
(muting the line-in.)  So, I don't think it's any kind of driver issue;
it's some sort of hardware issue.

This is mostly conjecture, and quite possibly wrong.  If so, please let me
know, as I'd hate to spread misinformation.  This theory has just worked
well for me, although I haven't done extensive testing to verify it.  The
thing about quitting the backend, and opening/closing xawtv to kill the
sound (mentioned in one of the parent posts) makes me thing that xawtv
somehow "turns off" the card upon exit, or switches the channel to
something that's known to be silent.

-Jeff

                    Gary Sinclair
                    <clgary at yahoo.com>         To:     Development of mythtv <mythtv-dev at snowman.net>, Merle Reine <merle.reine at lindows.com>
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    mythtv-dev-bounces at s       Subject:     Re: [mythtv] None
                    nowman.net

                    01/30/2003 04:12 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Development of
                    mythtv

Yes but when you kill the all of MythTV, it should
stop using the Tv Card correct?  I thought the muting
of the line in was because of the sound of the
playback/Live tv and you would hear the lag of the
played back stream compared to the Tv Cards output.

I would assume that once you stop watching "Live TV",
it would stop trying to capture from the TV Card
unless there was a scheduled recording, which you
wouldn't hear in theory because the Line In is muted
to begin with.

So is the correct behavior then, that the TV Card,
once started by MythTV will always run, even exiting
the programs (front and back ends)?

--- Ken VanDine <ken at bizrace.com> wrote:
> That isn't exactly true.  The audio is being pasted
> straight thru from the
> capture device.  You need to mute the line it and
> set it to capture.
>
> Read this for more detailed instructions:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html
>
> --Ken
>

> Quoting Merle Reine <merle.reine at lindows.com>:
>
> > I have the same problem.  I even killed all
> mythfrontend, mythtv,
> > mythbackend, mysql, etc.  The sound continues from
> the last channel I
> > was running.  Our engineers tell me it is due to
> the audio driver being
> > initialized and then it is not being unloaded.  I
> manually unload the
> > audio driver and it stops.  Prior to that, the
> sound continued all the
> > way untill i rebooted.
> >
> > On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 22:17, Gary Sinclair wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have the problem of Mythv not
> stopping the
> > > tv card?  I have to quit MythTV .8 backend and
> start
> > > xawtv just to shut it off
> > >
> > > =====
> > > Gary