[mythtv] No luck with LIRC...

John johnmythtv at crombe.com
Fri Jan 31 04:02:04 EST 2003

Hi all,

Installed Lirc0.6.6.  setup.sh / configure / make / make install - all went
fine w/o a hitch.  I have the Creative Infra Receiver recommended by another
poster plugged into my serial port.  In the config, I chose that device
under "other serial port devices" and picked com1 and default irq/io
address.  Copied the config files for creative into place and set the
permission on the dev/lircd.  Lircd runs fine.  However, when I run irw (or
irrecord) that's where things go south!

When I run irw it kills the lircd daemon.  It's easiest to see this by
opening up another console and firing up lircd -n (no daemon).  Then it just
waits there patiently for a signal (and outputs debug msgs).  On the other
console I run irw and it instantly ends (instead of staying there spitting
out codes).  Switching back to the first (lircd) console I see this output:

[root at p800 tools]# lircd -n
lircd 0.6.6: lircd(creative) ready
lircd 0.6.6: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd 0.6.6: could not open /dev/lirc
lircd 0.6.6: creative_init(): No such device
lircd 0.6.6: caught signal
Terminated

Here's how a  ll  of my  lirc*  devices look:

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      61,   0 Jan 15 05:08 /dev/lirc
srw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jan 31 01:16 /dev/lircd=
prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan 30 04:48 /dev/lircm|

(excuse my Lignorance, but what's the "=" sign at the end of the lircd line
mean?  Is that a clue?)

Can those that got this working out there tell me if I did anything wrong
please?  According to the configure instructions, I did _NOT_ need to modify
the serial support in the kernel, or "alias char-major-61 XXX"  - right?
Nor should I do the modprobe lirc_serial or ldconfig, right?  The
instructions are a little fuzzy there.  They could use a few "<HR>" in there
to break up the sections.  I uninstalled and reinstalled twice - same
result.

Anyway, I think if I can get it to "listen" with IRW or IRRECORD talking to
it then I'll be in business. My remote and receiver ARE on the list so they
should work.  I checked BIOS and COM1 is Auto enabled and I tried manual
also.  I also tried recompiling the kernel with serial support as a module -
no diff.  Oh, one more clue... When I tried it as a standard RS232 device
(instead of creative) it DID sit there happily when I ran IRW (LIRCD didn't
blow up) but IRW never output any codes.  Does that mean /dev/lircd is ok
then or what?  I've asked on LIRC also, but hoped that a fellow "Myther"
with it already working would be the best possible resource.

Thanks much!
JC