[mythtv] Quiet/Silent PC for Myth

Drew Bernat abernat at zathras.net
Fri Jan 31 01:55:47 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Brian Foddy wrote:

> One thing you didn't mention in your writeup tho, and VERY
> important for me.  How about RF interference?  As I
> use good old-fashion rabbit ears, not having a good shielded
> metal case I think would be a disaster.
> In my prototype machine, its bad enough.

That was something I was worried about, but it hasn't seemed to be a
problem. That doesn't mean it won't be, though.

The original plan was to use some sort of shielding material on the inside
of the case, and connect it to ground (i.e. the shell of the power
supply). I've seen both what is effectively stickybacked aluminum foil or
aluminized spray paint, both used for this purpose.

However, I'm currently getting better reception (bunny ears here, too)
with the mythbox than I was with bunny ears straight to the VCR. I can
only guess the tuner on the TV card is better than the one in my VCR...
believable, if a bit disappointing (in the VCR).

Drew

--
Drew Bernat                                                __ ____
abernat at zathras.net                                         |  | |