[mythtv] No luck with LIRC...

Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com
Fri Jan 31 09:27:37 EST 2003

John-

Amazingly, my Creative IR Reciever just came via UPS last night.  I'm
running Mandrake 9.0, and opted to install from source.  I was getting the
exact same behavior as the original post (the daemon crapping out because
it couldn't open /dev/lirc), and I went through all sorts of machinations
last night to get to the state I'm at now (I *think* I'm closer, but still
not working.)

I compiled and loaded the lirc_serial module (The setup script says it's
not necessary, but I read about someone else needing it in one of the hits
that Google turned up), and went through a few cycles of installing from
source, uninstalling from source, installing the Mandrake-supplied package,
and inunstalling said rpm.

Currently, here's my behavior:

[root at localhost root]# cd /dev/
[root at localhost dev]# ls -Al l*
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      61,   0 Jan 31 00:09 lirc
srw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jan 31 00:33 lircd=
prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan 31 00:10 lircm|
srw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jan 31 00:09 log=
[root at localhost dev]# lircd -n
lircd 0.6.6: lircd(creative) ready
lircd 0.6.6: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd 0.6.6: could not reset tty
lircd 0.6.6: caught signal
Terminated
[root at localhost dev]#

It should be noted that after the line "lircd 0.6.6: lircd(creative)
ready", there's a wait until I run irw from another terminal.  Also, the
command lircd -n is the same as lircd -n -d /dev/lirc.  I've tried it,
feeding /dev/lirc/0, /dev/lircd, and /dev/lircd/0, and all of those die,
yelling about those devices not existing.

I plan on posting this to the LIRC list later this morning, and if I get an
a solution, I'll make sure to spread the wealth.  Of course, if anyone here
has any ideas, I'd be happy to take them from this list, too.

-Jeff

                    John
                    <johnmythtv at crombe.c       To:     Development of mythtv <mythtv-dev at snowman.net>
                    om>                        cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: [mythtv] No luck with LIRC...
                    mythtv-dev-bounces at s
                    nowman.net

                    01/31/2003 08:32 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Development of
                    mythtv

Hi Pete,

I don't seem to have a /dev/lirc/0  (wouldn't it show up below if I did?).

Tried to insmod lirc_dev and it didn't find it.  I searched and found the
.c
in the drivers/lirc_dev directory.  Went there and did a make there (make
install too but even after that I had to do an insmod lirc_dev.o  for it to
find that module).  Anyway, I can now load EITHER insmod lirc_serial OR
lirc_dev but not both.  Depending on the order, I either get "Device or
resource busy" (lirc_serial first) or "init_module: Input/output error"
(lirc_dev first).  Do you have both modules installed together?  If so, in
what order?  Maybe each module needs to be associated with a unique device
(like "lircd" and "lird" or "lirc/0")?

Any more tips would help!
Thanks,
JC