[mythtv] Automatic deletion

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Jul 2 13:41:55 EDT 2003

Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>There's probably better methods floating around out there, but here's
>>what I run:
>

> I think the new 'ratings' code that went into CVS a few days ago could
> go a long way towards getting auto-deletion working.  Since I don't
> really care that much that "Smokey and The Bandit 10" gets recorded
> and give it a very low priority, then if it's recorded I won't care
> that much if it gets deleted.  On the contrary, "Monster Garage" with
> it's +50 priority should never get deleted unless I delete it.
>
> If we had a flag on the 'recorded' table that said whether the show
> was eligible for deletion, then that could give the show say another
> -10 or -20 rating which would lower it's rating so it could get deleted
> before other shows which we hadn't watched but which had low ratings
> to begin with.

Chris, I agree in spirit with what you are suggesting but I
think there should be a "keep" bool for the recorded table
that means that a file is not eligible for automatic deletion
under any circumstances. I'd hate to have a terrible surprise
if I went on vacation.

Using the ranking as a factor in weighting automatic deletion
is a great idea but there really should be other factors in the
scoring too. Age and number of episodes should also figure into
deciding what to delete. Tivo uses only age and treats number
of episodes as an exception. I think a system that considers
rank, age and episodes for scoring would be much slicker.

--  bjm