[mythtv] Automatic deletion

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Thu Jul 3 08:55:28 EDT 2003

Having once made a pretty good living as a programmer I went to go add my
auto-delete feature. I didn't get far before I started to feel dirty.

The backend has code to determine how much free space is available, it also
has a mechanism to delete recorded files. Great almost everything I need.
Still it "feels" bad connecting to a socket from the backend, to the backend
and then creating a string to call the functions and then parsing a string
to get the results back.

I'm worried about protocol changes, it would be nice if, somewhat like the
frontend, there was some sort API layer which wrapper the line protocol in
pretty callable routines. Is this there and I'm just missing it? Maybe
something like PlaybackSock but abstracting the protocol from the transport
more?

--
Anduin Withers