[mythtv] no TV inputs

Michael J. Hammel mythtv at graphics-muse.com
Sun Jul 6 17:12:18 EDT 2003

I've got MythTV video and weather working, and I've got TV audio.  But
I'm not getting any video for the TV.  The hardware I'm on is an STB
with an intergrated Trident CyberBlade, video tuner and hardware MPEG
decoder.  Both XawTV and Zapping will display TV if I first run some
command line tools from the STB manufacturer to set the hardware
correctly (once set, I don't have to run these again).  They won't
change channels (I'm stuck with doing that with other command line
tools), but I'll deal with that issue after I get basic TV display
working.

Both XawTV and Zapping see the tuner as an XVideo device.  I've run
setup for MythTV and configured /dev/video0 with "Television" input and
Card Type "Standard V4l".  But the device input doesn't show up in the
setup screen and I get console messages that it can't open /dev/video0.
I take it this is for video recording and not related to video display.
Is that correct?

I've read section 18.15 of the HOWTO and it appears MythTV is compiled
with V4l2 - I touched mpegrecorder.cpp and recompiled.  There were no
errors or warnings reported other than "changing search order for system
directory for /usr/local/include".  However, my kernel (2.4.18) doesn't
have a videodev2.h file, just a videodev.h.  Maybe that means its only
running with V4l and not V4l2?  The V4l2 docs make it sound like kernels
> 2.4 have V4l2 already.

I've also read section 18.3 and switched from GNOME to KDE.  There was
no change in video display for the TV.

I'm running with MythTV 0.10 on Red Hat 8.0.  I have to use RH 8.0 since
the STB's support tools are not ported to anything else yet.

Anyone have a tip on how I might check if MythTV can support TV display
for this tuner?

Thanks.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mythtv at graphics-muse.com>