[mythtv] mythencode.pl script

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Jul 11 10:18:06 EDT 2003

> There has been discussion of this before.  The team does care about
> compatibility, but not at the cost of losing features.  There is a chance
> that Ogg Theora will satisfy their requirements whenever it gets released
> (probably not for another 6 months or more), in which case you might get
> a 'standard' container then, though it won't exactly be mainstream.

Theora is apparently too hefty of an encode to be used for direct
encodes, but might work well for transcoded stuff.  Same with vorbis.
Then again, some of the new mpeg4 options utterly kill my p4 2.4, so
maybe this SHOULD be an option.  As for ogg, it's already a standardized
container and is already released.

-Chris