[mythtv] Latest CVS LiveTV->Recording problems

avalanche at beyondmonkey.com avalanche at beyondmonkey.com
Fri Jul 18 20:56:25 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Wohlgemuth" <mjw at woogie.net>
To: "Development of mythtv" <mythtv-dev at snowman.net>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 4:36 PM
Subject: [mythtv] Latest CVS LiveTV->Recording problems

> I checked out CVS from about 9:30 this morning, and am having problems
> with the LiveTV to Recording transition.  Once it starts recording, the
> frontend keeps skipping back to the beginning of the recording.  It gets
> further and further into the recording each time, but eventually it will
> start over.

What's happening is your player is timing out and it keeps restarting the
playback from the beginning. Check your frontend console, you should
be getting the ">> player timeout" message. It probably will also happen
if you watch an in progress recording from the watch recordings screen
(minus the looping). I have that problem too, looks like it's related to the
Mpeg4 stuff, this won't happen if I use Rtjpeg. It's not cpu load related,
happens with low res settings too. Strange, that livetv is always rock solid,
only happens on watching in progress recordings. Maybe Isaac has an idea
why it's happening, it times out when the tv class checks if the nvp is still
playing.

Try setting your Mpeg4 settings 'Maximum Quality' to 1 and maybe even
'Max qual. difference between frames' to 1,  that seems to have helped on
my box, not sure if it's completely gone now.

> Also, if I hit escape to exit, no matter what selection I
> make, whether delete, save position & exit, or don't save position &
> exit, I end up back at the beginning of the recording.

I attached a fix for that, the exit codes where not being set if you have
the 'prompt when exiting a recording' menu activated. The patch will
also stop the playback of  recordings being repeated if your player times
out.

thanks,
av