[mythtv] Re: Teletext

Martin Moeller martin at martinm-76.dk
Fri Jul 25 12:48:24 EDT 2003

Well, I think I have the vbi.c file 'patched' to include the changes and
preserve the commented parts of code. I will try to compile MythTV with
it after it has finished it's current recording.

This piece of information might be interesting for bttv owners, though,
taken directly from the vg902.out file from AleVT 1.6.1.

"\24 ####################################  ",
"\6 The bttv-driver (v0.5.22) is buggy.   ",
"\6 Don't try to run AleVT together with  ",
"\6 anything that grabs video data from   ",
"\6 /dev/video.  The grabber will stop    ",
"\6 running and some time later the       ",
"\6 kernel will crash due to an out of    ",
"\6 memory condition.                     ",
"\6                                       ",
"\6 It seems to work with programs that   ",
"\6 just use video overlay.  Xawtv in     ",
"\6 overlay mode works just fine.         ",
"\24 pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp  ",

If I am not mistaken, that is exactly the problem that got teletext
ousted in the first place? Might the current version of the bttv driver
be more sane?

Judging from the code of vbi.c, there are seperate routine for bttv and
v4l2 devices.

Latest bttv driver:
http://bytesex.org/bttv/

Latest saa7134 driver:
http://bytesex.org/saa7134/

Information on upgrading v4l2 without patching the kernel tree (but you
must still have a configure kernel tree):
http://bytesex.org/v4l/build.html

Version 0.5.22 seems to be an awfull long time ago, though, and it
doesn't seem like the bttv driver gets v4l2 support before 0.9 (2.6
kernels)....

/Martin.
--
Martin Moeller <martin at martinm-76.dk>