[mythtv] Help with settings wizards

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 00:20:17 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 10:56 pm, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> The widgets always update the corresponding Setting whenever they are
> changed, so you can connect the valueChanged signal to make things happen
> when something in the UI is changed (look at how the triggered stuff
> works).

True, but here's the problem I see:  there is no way to hide or desensitize a
widget in the current architecture.  The TriggeredSettingsGroup spoofs the
ability to hide a widget by allowing you to create an empty box (say a
VerticalSettingsGroup) and raise/lower it w.r.t. the widget you want to hide.
The Settings class doesn't expose the underlying widget publicly, so there's
no way to manipulate it.

> However, I think that if you find you want to do something like this,
> you're probably using the wrong widgets.  If you use UI elements which fit
> the nature of the data, this kind of thing doesn't come up.

Apparently there aren't any widgets that fit the nature of this data.  I think
I'll do the following:  two independent checkboxes; the Help text on the
"Navigate Buttons" checkbox will have a note to the effect that this option
is meaningless if "ShowWholeTree" is turned on.

-JAC