[mythtv] Help with settings wizards

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 01:48:21 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz at debian.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 4, 2003 11:36 pm
Subject: Re: [mythtv] Help with settings wizards

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:20:17PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>

> There is no underlying widget; a Setting exists independent of any UI.
> Widgets are created which are attached to a setting and can
> manipulate it.
>
> If you want to connect widgets together in a certain way, you write
> a custom
> group.  The group is responsible for creating widgets for its
> children, and
> can connect them, lay them out, etc. as it wishes.
>
> The triggered group was created to swap between the different codec
> settingsin the recording profile editor, and then was abused just a
> tiny bit to hide
> settings that weren't applicable based on the value of another
> setting.  It
> might be better to set them inactive (grayed out) in this case, but
> I was
> lazy.  If you want to do it a different way, feel free.

I think I may try my hand at writing a custom group; however for this iteration I'm
just going to go with 2 independent CheckBoxes.

> Is it also the case than "ShowWholeTree" is meaningless if "Navigate
> Buttons" is turned on?  That would be implied by your 'mutually
> exclusive'description earlier.

Yes, once I implement the setting UI behavior that I want.  For now,
"ShowWholeTree" is the 'master'; i.e., if it's set, the code in playbackbox.cpp
assumes NavigateButtons == false.  This is only a temporary kludge; I'd much
rather force the correct behavior in the settings dialog.

-JAC