[mythtv] Workaround for european channels

JOna jblistat at sll.fi
Fri Jun 6 20:13:35 EDT 2003

Here's how I got my MythTV-cvs/PVR-350 to change
channels the way I want: pressing 1 in the remote
gives me TV1, pressing 2 gives TV2, 3 gives MTV3,
pressing 4 gives TV4, pressing 5 gives FrenchTV5,
6 gives MusicTV, etc.

This is how I did it (before compiling mythtv):

1) I wanted to have channels in this order: E5, E10, E7, E9, UHF29,...
2) So I copied the needed channels from libs/libmythtv/frequencies.c
    { "E5",      175250 },      \
    { "E10",     210250 },      \
    { "E7",      189250 },      \
    { "E9",      203250 },      \
    { "29",  535250 },  \
3)  And added them to the same file as UHF-channels 1-20
    #define FREQ_UHF        \
    { "1",      175250 },      \
    { "2",     210250 },      \
    { "3",      189250 },      \
    { "4",      203250 },      \
    { "5",  535250 },  \
    ...etc
    { "21",  471250 },  \

There's no need to remove anything, because normally
the UHF-channels start from number 21.

This way it is possible to add ANY frequency to ANY channel.
In Europe many cable companies use frequencys that are not
even listed in the channel table (europe-east).

I found this to be the easiest way to achieve what I wanted.

So how did I invent this?
I noticed that by pressing the number-buttons in
the remote I can select only UHF-channels, because
they are the only channels in the file
       libs/libmythtv/frequencies.c
that are represented by mere numbers. All the other
channels start with some letter:
   E2..E12
   SE1..SE20
   S21..S41
   R1..12
   SR1..19
So when I press "1", mythtv is looking for UHF channel
number 1. However in the channel table there are only
UHF-channels 21-69. So I decided to add all those
"missing channels" ;-)

JOna