[mythtv] About packaging CVS versions

Dwight Hubbard dhubbard at dwightandamy.com
Fri Jun 6 16:51:11 EDT 2003

Currently it's in a "it works for me" state, I think I'll post it this
weekend (assuming my wife doesn't have to large a honey do list for me)

> That's a nifty-sounding script.  It's unfortunate about Isaac's
> decision, but a least those of us with strict RPM-only policies will
> still be able to use the latest MythTV code while it's still crunchy in
> milk, as well as enabling installation in remote locations (where
> there's no tech available, like my mom's house .. because I KNOW she'll
> want one of these when mine's finally built and she sees it)
>
> No way to get around problem-detection through automated packaging, I
> guess, if we can't build the RPMs from CVS.  This has helped me at work
> an immense amount, just as something that whines via email.  Package
> comparison, automated builds, it's all about letting the machine do the
> crunching while you're at the Taco Bell.  (mmmm, cronned apt-CD
> creation...)

At some point I would like to make the script generate rpms for rpm based
distributions.

> Those of use who're really crazy about all this will will have to just
> live with the fact that rpm -V will hate itself after an update via the
> script.  I think I can live with that.  8-)
>
> Does your script take into account the myriad ./configure differences
> between the RPM distros (and deb and gentoo) ?  I know they should be
> similar, but it's not always the case, and I'm wondering how you're
> pulling the specific configure options (%{_libdir} and all that) from
> the machine's macro set.

Currently it only has been tested on Redhat but the basic cvs build stuff
should work on any distribution with the correct packages.  I'm planning
on using apt-rpm to install prereqs on RPM distributions, assuming the
package names are the same under Debian it should work there as well.