[mythtv] Documentation: Save Recording Data

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Jun 10 10:38:22 EDT 2003

Christopher Maahs wrote:
> In doing my upgrade from CVS to the 0.9 release (I realize there aren't
> that many differences) I found that the 0-8-to-0-9.sql didn't quite work,
> likely because I created the initial database from CVS after the 0.8
> release.  Anyway, rather than remove the lines, I decided to just drop the
> entire database, and recreate.  Taking the following advice from IMDB!
>
> "Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. That's the
> only way to be sure."
>
> Of course, not wanting to lose my existing recording information, I simply
> dumped the data I wanted to keep and restored it.
>
> I'm thinking a section akin to 19.6, to describe how to backup the
> important data and restore it into the new database.  With a disclaimer of
> course that it may not work if there have been structure changes to these
> tables.
>
> The process I suppose is simply:
>
> 1. backup the data
>   - mysqldump -u root mythconverg --no-create-info --tables oldrecorded
> recorded recordedmarkup > tmp.mysql
>
> 2. drop the database (already in the docs)
>
> 3. create the database (mc.sql, also in the docs)
>
> 4. restore the data
>   - mysql -u root mythconverg < tmp.mysql
>

> I'm not sure if these three tables are the only three, but they seemed to
> accomplish what I was looking for.

The other table I like to keep is 'record' so I don't have
to search for all of my favorite shows again. But, ya, all
the other tables should be filled when you run setup and
mythfilldatabase. However, any fine tuning, colour, contrast
settings would be lost if you don't save 'channel' and DVB
users may want to keep 'channel_dvb'.

You should probably suggest first making a full dump then
making the partial dump. Any "opps" data can be cut'n'pasted
from the full dump.

--  bjm