[mythtv] mythtv worldwide compatible

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at xcombo.com
Wed Jun 11 06:00:24 EDT 2003

It will help to close issues that have been around there for a while, increase
usability and I feel that now is time to have it done, so I want to describe my
to-do’s that in my opinion should be solved, to avoid duplicate works, get
feedback and be sure that is going a be something that could be committed to
the project:

In a short term:
1. -Preset support. We’ll, based ob Ben’s stuff and adding mythfilldatabase
support, it’s already done by the final patch that I’ve submitted last
Saturday. I’ve been testing since then and it works to me. I feel it is ready
for CVS.

2. -Manual scheduling (not to replace current ManualBox, which is an “Instant
Recording” from my point of view, so just a distinct function). Based on
Leandro’s Manualbox, take out the big keyboard; fill the Title, subtitle, etc.
with info coming from channel sign, data, time etc. So no needs of user dialogs
if you want, but maybe allow to edit with either a regular keyboard, remote or
a popup keyboard that appear when a given key is pressed.

3. -Tune Box. Again based on Leandro’s developments, allow the user to edit the
channel table, finetune, etc, but now against using the preset number instead
of chanid, so that will perfectly fit to enhance 1. I’m thinking in to add also
a button here that works like xawtv scantv, but integrated, so hitting it will
fill the channel table by scanning the frequencies, get the channel name from
the vbi if possible,.. Just like a regular/simple tv/vdr!

4. -New MythVideo it’s outstanding, thanks John, I just miss a way for the user
to enter manually the data in case of no IMDB info available or wanted
translated texts. Note that it might be useful as well for those who have
homemade videos, recordings...A DVDRip could be also nice and it can be done
with a frontend that gets the dialog and then fires mplayer mencode, which has
to be already there so there is no new dependencies on that. Maybe this is
already in John’s agenda?

I think that I can do this in a short term (as always, only depending on the
availability of spare time). However I think it is an important milestone since
at this point mythtv will be a “truly worldwide compatible project”, note as
well that xmltv will be of course a plus, but not a requirement anymore, the
channel table can be filled just scanning and the user can schedule recordings
even without program listings. MythTV will be even being usable offline if you
want.

In a medium term.
Definitely we have to continue Ben’s works with DVB, some work on the key
bindings will be also nice (some of the current keys are not comfortable in not
English keyboards and even unusable with lirc), etc... If someone can do that
before, very welcome, but I just don’t feel ready for it.

feel free to flame me, comment, help, feedback... I just want to share my wish
list.