[mythtv] mythtv worldwide compatible

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Jun 11 15:35:28 EDT 2003

Ramon Roca wrote:
> Quoting Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com>:
>
> I appreciate the comments.
>
>>The intent if the original author was that he wanted to
>>record from an external source that was not in the progam
>>guide (camcorder, DVD player, etc.). That is why there
>>there are user dialogs for title and description and there
>>is no start time feature. Adding a start time and making
>>the preview window optional so that it only starts when you
>>ask for it would be nice improvements.
>
> yes, those are distinct funtions, both nice but similar. after talking with
> Leandro, we agreeded that maybe instead of a single screen doing both
> functions, maybe it's simpler/easier to have distinct options (in fact, they
> are distinct functions). Note that's not just a matter of start time, also
> should be a channel, take out Start/Stop buttons... similar but different
> functions, similar screens, but coming from different choices at the menu,
> doesn't it make sense?

Yes.

You're right, the current manual recording takes the channel
from the channel of the preview window. A page to schedule
future manual record times should have a channel selector.

>>A related, but entirely seperate feature that many people
>>would like is to have starttime and endtime offsets for the
>>items in the record table. This would allow the scheduler
>>to use the real times to verify that the entry is still in
>>the program table but then add the offsets to determine
>>conflicts and to set the actual times for recordings to
>>begin and end.
>
> yes, a single global setting is not enough, doesn't allow to start before, and
> a max 10 mins after might be ok as a general setting, but is clearly not
> adequated for some kind of events/channels (i.e. live sports, etc). This might
> be better addressed in some kind of "Edit recordings".

Exactly. We all want to record extra time for live sports.
The question comes in various forms but I believe this is
about the most requested feature for which no one (myself
included ;-) has sent in a patch.

> ... ummm, if I develop a
> screen that allow to setup a manual scheduling, that could be as simple as
> adding a key binding to the epg, so if a program is being recorded, callling
> that screen the start/end times and giving the program as a parameter, it might
> be easily edited... I'll think on this....

Having access from the EPG to pure manual record (I want to
record this channel at this time no matter what the program
guide says =) would be a good thing. However, what I'm suggesting
in the paragraph above is something that should be handled
differently. That would be to add two new columns to 'record'
for a startoffset and endoffset. We could then say to record
"Baseball" anytime on channel 48. Whenever Baseball is on channel
48, add an extra 30 minutes of record time to the end. This should
be an attribute of the chanid=1048, title="Baseball" entry in the
record table.

--  bjm