[mythtv] FF/REW timing oddities in mythtv

Martin Cosgrave martin at bettercode.com
Thu Jun 12 16:22:25 EDT 2003

When watching a mythtv-recorded movie, obviously one wants to skip the
commercial breaks. Auto skipping is way too slow so normally I just hit the
'forward' button. However it seems that whatever is keeping track of the
suposed 'current' frame is getting out of sync with the player. Often, if the
commercial break is a short one, hitting forward or even rewind will jump
into the next segment of the programme, *after* the commercial break.

It only ever seems to jump forward too far, never backward.

It is also problematic after having set cut points - after setting a
frame-perfect cutpoint and then watching the resultant movie it missed half a
scene and jumped into the middle of the next (post-commercials) one.

This may be a completely stupid suggestion - but I was wondering since I am in
the UK whether the timing information could be being derived from a 30fps
clock rate while the UK tv ouput is at 25fps. So if I put a cut point at 1
minute in, the movie will have played 1500 frames while the internal counter
would think it had played 1800 frames. Just a thought....