[mythtv] mythmkmovie 0.9

Michael Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Thu Jun 12 12:28:18 EDT 2003

| By the way, I think there are better ways to handle this than the way you
| are currently going:

Oh, I freely admit that there are MUCH better ways to do deal with. The
whole of mythmkmovie is based off of a simple premise: I want to produce
a usable quality divx file, without commercials, with a minimum of
effort, and without having to become intimately familiar with the
internals of MythTV. Make no mistake, I dearly love MythTV, but I don't
have the time to read through the source code and learn the details that
would be needed to replace the perl script I've got with appropriate C++
code.

As a result, this solution may well be less than ideal. I'm hoping that
what will happen at this point is that someone with more intimate
knowledge of the code will write an appropriate plugin for MythTV
itself, and the whole script will become obsolete and useless.

| Specifically, if your nuv is in mpeg4/lame already, turning it into a
| divx can be done with no further quality loss.  This has a myriad of
| issues: Isaac doesn't want Myth to write a format it can't read;  the
| compression won't be as good as with mencoder/xvid because it is still a
| one-pass solution; cutlists will be difficult to handle.

Actually, if you can accept the transcoding work as a starting point,
cutlists are easier to handle. If the transcoder could write to a raw
stream someplace, then mencoder could do encoding from the raw stream. I
tried my hand at this with the work I was doing with the transcoder, and
found myself unable to learn enough of the code to do what I really
wanted to do WITHOUT causing major crashes. Naturally, that's a bad
thing, so I abandoned that effort.

| format.  This would mean that mencoder would not need to be patched to
| deal with myth's nuv files, and you would not lose any additional data
| beyond the transcoding step.  You could also pipe your stream to any
| program you like (perhaps xvid is more your style).  This would not be to
| hard to do in myth today (simply have ReencodeFile be able to write to a
| pipe).  All that is needed is to find an uncompressed format that

Yes, that's true. And that was one of the issues I had (the other being
that I had no idea how to initialize settings so that I could get raw
output).

As for a format that mencoder can accept as input, it seems that .avi
files work very well for that. I know, there's issues with the format,
but they do work very well.

| mencoder can deal with as input.  It would also mean that all these
| scripts could be merged into mythtranscoder, and shipped with mythtv.
| Anyhow, this is the route I would probably take.  Perhaps I'll throw
| together a prototype once I'm finished with fixing the recordedmarkup
| issues.

I'd love to see it. If I can help, I would like to do so, though I
honestly don't know how much I can do.