[mythtv] mythmkmovie 0.9

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 12 13:21:29 EDT 2003

On 12 Jun 2003 08:41:47 -0700, "Chris Petersen lists-at-forevermore.net
|mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <o8f8hesx3k0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> that's fine with me.  As I understood it when I first started messing
> with this stuff, mythtranscoder hadn't been touched in awhile or was
> really buggy.
well this was true.  The buggy part still is (but it is getting better).

> I personally have only 2 uses for an exporter - raw nuv output so I can
> send files to friends with no tv reception, and svcd export for
> archiving and playback on my dvd player.
in the first case i assume you are using it to prune the commercials (and
perhaps convert from mpeg2->mpeg4)?

> What exactly is mythtranscoder, anyway?  I always assumed that it was
> something built into the myth gui (which does me no good).

mythtranscode is a command-line app which is a frontend for ReencodeFile.

There are actually 2 parts to the transcoder: 'mythtranscode' is as I
said a command-line utility to run ReencodeFile.  The other part is built
into mythbackend (it is currently disabled due to some bugs), and it
deals with automatically calling the transcoder when recording is
complete.

To deal with cutlists properly, mythtranscode will need to become
smarter, and have knowledge of what mythbackend is doing (which is what i
am working on now).  But it is still a command-line utility that can be
run by the user (or by mythbackend if you like).  (If you run it from the
command-line on a system that mythbackend is running on, you should nice
it down, otherwise it will eat all of your cpu, and perhaps ruin any
upcoming recordings.  Mythbackend does this for you if it calls
mythtranscode)

.Geoff
--
  Geoffrey Hausheer