[mythtv] Loud hard drive due to NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp sync()

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jun 13 15:38:27 EDT 2003

On Friday 13 June 2003 02:28 pm, Sam N. Max (snx) wrote:
> Hmm, I was thinking it had to do with that.  I was looking through the
> mysql docs, and from the look of it (at least in the newer versions), it
> automatically attempts a reconnect if the connection went down.
>
> See: http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysql_real_connect.html

Oh, it reconnects fine, it just doesn't retry the query once it's reconnected.
Much easier to do the dummy query than to include a bunch of logic to retry
on that type of failure.

> Also, there is the "mysql_ping()" function, which seems to do something
> similar to what KickDatabase does (though it's probably not so great to
> have to deal with mysql-specific functions if you want to be
> database-independent in the future).

It's using the Qt database layer, which is already fairly database-independent
-- just the queries it's using may not be.

Isaac