[mythtv] transcoding suggestion

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Sat Jun 14 04:08:53 EDT 2003

Chris Petersen wrote:

>Obviously, getting the transcode stuff just working is the highest
>priority, but I was just thinking of a way to make it a feasible
>undertaking as an actual part of myth.

indeed.

>What I'm thinking is that I could go in and set up my cutlist, and then
>mark the recording to be transcoded into whatever format I want, with or
>without then removing the .nuv data.  The transcoding would happen ONLY
>when myth isn't actually doing anything (or attached to a nice process),
>as an option called from mythbackend itself (or a cron'd process).

geoffrey is looking after some of this i think.  although, transcoding
to non-nuv isn't going to be in mythtranscode any time soon, that will
require something like mythmkmovie i think.  although, it would be nice
to try and integrate mencoder a little more transparently, and michael
and i have discussed this briefly.

>And on this note, is there any idea when actual cutting will be
>available in the cutlist?  By this, I mean the ability to re-save (but
>not re-encode) recordings according to the cutlist, for space
>conservation, etc.

i think you should be able to do this now, with the enhancements that
michael submitted.  if you stick to raw only (no re-encoding) i think
you will not run into any of the audio bugs in the re-encode part, and
the cutlists should be supported fine.  just run mythtranscode with the
correct options and go.  it will produce a XXX.nuv.tmp file that you can
use.  my fixes coming next week will mainly be dealing with the
re-encoding portions, and i'm going to try and get it so that i can
convert the video from mpeg2 to mpeg4 but leave the audio as layer2.
 we'll see if i can finish that in time.  layer2 mightn't be as good as
layer3 stuff, but i'm sure its better to simply copy the layer2 rather
than decode it and re-encode at layer3.

getting there!

cheers,

    CraigL->Thx();