[mythtv] BUG: Alsa and surround sound

John Hurliman jhurliman at myrealbox.com
Mon Jun 16 14:29:54 EDT 2003

Are you using SPDIF output (digital) for surround sound or running
multiple 1/8" jacks (analog) to each of the speakers? All channels in
SPDIF are controlled by the IEC958 Playback mixer in alsamixer, for
analog 4.1 each channel has it's own mixer control and the PCM volume or
Master volume that Mythtv controls only affects some, most likely the
front channels. If you are using SPDIF I'd recommend adjusting your
volume only through the external amplifier, in the analog case it's a
bit tricker. Myth would have to probe the soundcard for surround
channels, and adjust the volume of those too if found. It can be done,
but I don't have the patch ;).

jph