[mythtv] BUG: Alsa and surround sound

Michael J. Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Mon Jun 16 23:44:26 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 04:22:57AM +0200, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> >Just wish I had the time to do it myself, and do it correctly. Hacking
> >together something for me might be feasible, but it's definitely not
> >something that would ever be releaseable.
> Did you raise that with the ALSA project? IMHO, that's a bug in ALSA and
> should be fixed there.

Not yet, nor am I sure that it's actually a bug in ALSA itself. Rather,
it's a bug in how sound is handled (though not just in MythTV). Most
people have a fairly simplistic set of speakers connected to their
computer (one pair, and that's it). As a result, little testing on more
complex setups is done (and mine just crossed that line within the past
two days).

So, why do I say it's not necessarily a bug in ALSA? I SHOULD be able to
control my speakers independently (at least, as much as possible). The
way things are, I get that capability. So, I'm not sure it's a bug. It
might be a functioning as designed type item, and that makes it very
difficult to argue against over there.

And over here, it'd be very difficult to say that MythTV should
correctly control such setups as mine. End result: I think I'm going to
have to live with it, or code it myself. I don't see any other options
that are likely to work.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 6CB0A96C       My Public Key Available At: www.keyserver.net