[mythtv] BUG: Alsa and surround sound

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue Jun 17 06:56:00 EDT 2003

Michael J. Pedersen wrote:

>So, why do I say it's not necessarily a bug in ALSA? I SHOULD be able to control my speakers independently

Agreed. But master and PCM are not the ways for it. PCM controls the
source and affects all targets. Master is, by my
definition/understanding of it, a control for *everything*. You should
have a way to make all speakers louder, and master is that means IMO.
And you definitely should have a single, revertable (on/off) knob to
mute everything.

There should be one setting for each channel in addition to the master
and PCM. That's similar to AV recievers work, BTW, they usually have a
master vol controlling all speakers plus a way to influence the vol of
the speakers in relation to each other.

I don't think it's a good idea to fix this in MythTV, because I have
several other ways to change the volume (lirc invoking aumix -v; XMMS)
and I'd expect them to all behave the same way.

>It might be a functioning as designed type item

That design can also be buggy (wrong) ;-).

>that makes it very difficult to argue against over there.

Yes.

>I'm going to have to live with it, or code it myself. I don't see any other options that are likely to work.

(Or pay somebody to do the coding for you.)

Well, that's true for almost all problems with Open Source software :-/.