[mythtv] NuppelVideo format, keyframes, and the cutlist

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed Jun 18 14:09:37 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 11:45 am, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Isaac Richards wrote:
> >Well, if there's something in there that tells it not to play X amount of
> > frames (for video _and_ audio), then that's fine.
>
> Just wondering: Wouldn't that mean that the player has to decode up to
> 30-something frames in an instant?

Potentially, yeah.  However, it should already be decoding 15-20 frames ahead
of the video, and decoding _is_ rather light weight, so the additional load
shouldn't be all that bad, unless you're doing remote playback..

This could be alleviated by re-encoding the desired starting frame as a
keyframe (and then new P frames up to the next real keyframe), and going back
and writing the offset to that frame in the 'skip X frames' offset.  I
dunno..    Ends up being pretty similar to Geoffrey's demo patch, I guess.

Isaac