[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-users] FF/REW key binding confusion

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jun 19 00:20:50 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:16:36PM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> This keeps the previous behavior where repeatedly pressing the rew/ff
> key increases the speed until it wraps and pressing the opposite key
> switches to the normal speed in the other direction.  Would anyone
> object to me changing this so pressing the opposite key decreases the
> speed without changing the direction?

I'm not a coder, nor a user (yet), but I fancy myself pretty good at
interface design... and I'm not really sure on this one.  It's an
iterative discipline; let me iterate here for a bit.

The closest analog would be DVD players, I think, and they *don't* work
like that.  And, indeed, it's sort of counter to the labels of the
buttons.  But is it so counterintuitive that people would be confused?

I tend to think that this depends on how the speed is displayed on the
screen.  If it shows a horizontal position bar like volume adjustments,
then no, I don't think it would be any problem.

If not...  Hmmm.  It might be a tad annoying in the (probably fairly
common) situation where you're scanning ahead for something and you
overshoot -- 1 press (from Fx4 to Rx what, .5?) becomes 7 or 8 presses.
(Numbers approximated, but you get the idea.)

Given the latter, perhaps my former comments are actually wrong.

Yeah, it might be better if it "jumped".

At the least, a "knob", defaulting to that.  (Assuming adding knobs
isn't too painful.)

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c