[mythtv] Music Jukebox devl. ToDo's

Jamieson, Andy ajamieson at sonusnet.com
Fri Jun 20 12:17:29 EDT 2003

Hi Guys,

I just started looking at various apps., originally from the music jukebox
aspect of things, and have been trying out Freevo, Globecom Jukebox and
MythTV. Primary focus is on the jukebox and streaming capability to
remote/slim front ends.

I like the MythTV UI front-end, due to it's format for being used with a
remote control, and even with the dependencies (which aren't a problem) is
easy to get setup. (I haven't used the video aspect yet, however the channel
layout/recording is nice, and amount of input for DirecTV users is good). I
like some of the functionality of the Gjukebox solution and wondered if I
had missed doc's on capability of Mythmusic or if the following are being
worked on. Apologies if I haven't picked up on all the details of MythTV
yet.

Cover-art search and download. Freevo just added this and Gjukebox has it,
and works nicely. With the SQL backend in Gjukebox the files can be located
anywhere as the image location is stored in the database. Nice touch being
able to see this when browsing by album, or "currently playing" data.
Music tags stored in database so location of mp3's etc in a file system
layout is less important (would this help in providing more flexible
browsing and search functionality?)
Random play selection if no play list is defined.
Streaming use Icecast to a lighter front-end and using XMMS to play, and
selection between a global stream/play list or a specific end-point play
list (MythTv front-end app. connecting to database over network then NFS to
access files currently?)

I think overall MythTV is my favorite, and am more likely to move forward
with it, so any devl. information pertaining to the above would be
appreciated.

Thank you