[mythtv] OSD and ivtv (aka pvr-?50 series cards)

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sat Jun 21 00:12:55 EDT 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 07:22 pm, kevin thayer wrote:
> The pvr-350 (and some 250's) have an OSD API that does
> blending of an image with the video being output in
> hardware.  (at least I think that's how it works..)
>
> As the only method of video-to-tv i currently have is
> my pvr350 card, i'd like to see if this is something
> myth can support, and how hard it would be to patch
> in. I know myisn'tth currently just draws to screen,
> but i'm hoping the code is such that the osd parts can
> be separated easily.
>
> Ideally, i'd like to get myth to use the decoder on
> the pvr350 to decode the video too.. How does support
> for external decoders currently work?

It doesn't, yet.

> Decoding/OSD support aren't in the ivtv driver yet
> though, so any features using this are a ways off.

Easiest thing from a mythtv perspective will be to make the card act as a
generic framebuffer device -- from there, it should be pretty easy to just
recompile mythtv against qt/embedded and run the UI from that.  Handling the
hardware decoding will be really easy, too.  Just have to replace a large
chunk of code with a tiny chunk of code that just sends stuff to the card to
decode instead.

Side note, I also have a -350 (provided by hauppauge, too) that I'll be
interested in getting mythtv to work with on the tv-out/decode side of things
once the driver support's there.

Isaac