[mythtv] mythmusic and mp3 encoder?

Tom LeRoux leroux at harborcoat.com
Sat Jun 21 04:19:00 EDT 2003

mp3 vs. vorbis quality has been debated many times over, and there is no
clear "winner", and often comes down to preference.

reasons to include MP3 ripping support:
- the majority of hardware players support only MP3
- the majority of the world still listens to music on MP3
- mythmusic is more than happy to play your MP3s, but it won't create them?
symmetry is nice..
- choice.

I'm not saying MP3 should replace FLAC, and I don't think people want to
(ever) transcode their music after ripping.  I also don't want 20 meg songs
on my drive, so I chooes not to use a lossless format.  FLAC was never in
question.  It can stay as is.

As far as additional "complications" for the user.. well, I find that quite
hard to believe.  I think that "Low/Medium/High/Perfect" is actually TOO
general.  From these options, you have no idea what you're getting!  Bury it
in the settings screen.  I can't see how adding a dropdown for music format
would be any more complicated than knowing what "paranoia level" means.

If you don't want the contribution that's fine.  Not my loss.

-Tom