[mythtv] DVB fixes

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Sun Jun 22 18:58:40 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 23:56, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> The patch here contains what I fixed over the last time, during looking
> over the checkin, as result of feedback and coincidentially. This
> contains the fix I sent to the list a long time ago, but which was never
> applied (maybe went under?). It also contains a fix by zaheer.
>
> List of changes, by purpose:
>
>     * Readded a few comments which were not included during the DVB
>       checkin, but I really think they are important, for new developers
>       to understand the source or to prevent regressions by pointing out
>       pitfalls I fell into. Some of the comments shortened from previous
>       version, in case the length was the problem.
>     * Prevent malfunction/crash in case of bad settings (cardnumber)
>     * Fix compile problem with gcc 2.95 as reported by Leandro
>     * Learned that DVB-C needs a lot more tuning options than I thought,
>       added provisions for them.
>     * Fixed a typo in channel parameters parsing
>     * Fixed channel tuning during recording. Contributed by zaheer
>       (thanks!).
>     * Random fixes for comments in the DVB files
>     * Added an error msg.

Cool, I see it has also been submitted to CVS, so I am going to checkout
CVS and try.

> With zaheer's fix, I think recording and playback works now. zaheer, is
> that correct?

Yes, the recording of whatever channel works.  Playback is fine, with or
without the patch.

I have been debugging the channel change during live tv.  It works if
for every channel change: the player, recorder and ring buffer are
destroyed, and news ones created and initialised. (just the same as
exiting livetv and coming in on another channel).  But without doing any
of that the frontend segfaults in libavcodec's mpeg routines.  I have
been debugging this and found that it only segfaults when the multiplex
changes, ie the dvb frequency is changed.  I am confident however that I
will be able to create a clean patch that fixes this today....

Thanks guys for all the work on mythtv, I have a box with an xp 1700+
and 2 tuners doing mpeg4 recordings and controlled by an ATI Remote
Wonder that after only a week the family cannot do without.

My next step is to replace that box with one that has 2 dvb cards in,
and an analog card for ntl cable/sky digital input with the channel
change done with an IR Blaster.

Also remote frontends work fine over 802.11b especially when using
mpeg4, tho rtjpeg over 802.11b is fine also.

--
Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas at merali.org>